Welcome to the temporary web home of The Root
What is The Root?
The Root is a company that is working to connect the city of Houston with the wonderful food that is produced in the greater SE Texas area.
What will The Root do?
We offer full-service delivery of local and sustainable produce to both commercial accounts and directly to consumers. We currently offer home delivery within the beltway and in the Kingwood/Humble/Atascocita area. As we get enough numbers in other areas we will add delivery zones. Please contact us if you're outside of our delivery area and interested!
What will The Root sell?
We are already working with a large number of regional farmers that produce the highest quality fruits and vegetables. These items will be available in individual quantities as well as part of a weekly regular delivery service we call the 'Weekly Fruit and Veg'. This will have a recurring set price each week and will contain a changing variety of produce from several regional producers.
Why should I buy from The Root?
- Convenience We bring it to you!
- No Risk Because we will be using a large number of regional producers, you will always receive a steady and high quality selection of produce in your Weekly Fruit and Veg.
- High-quality Produce is kept at optimum temperature from harvest at the farm to delivery in our refrigerated transport.
- Get educated We will help teach you about the food by providing recipes, storage information and info about the local farmers and their growing methods. Much of this information can be found on our facebook: facebook.com/theroothouston.
Why should I buy local/sustainable?
- Flavor Nothing can top locally grown premium produce. Our produce is fresher than the stores and picked at it's peak!
- Support the local economy Farmers are a local business and The Root is a local business. Your dollars stay here.
- Nutrition Sustainably grown produce has more nutrients.
- Safety Chemical and pesticide levels are greatly reduced. The Root investigates each farmer's growing practices and only purchases the highest quality produce from trusted sources. None of our farmers ever us synthetic chemicals of any kind.
- Sustainability Our farmers are working to improve the land they live and farm on. They use techniques that not only provide safer and more nutritious food, but also increase bio-diversity, reduce soil loss and provide animal habitat.
What is The Weekly Fruit & Veg?
- Fresh, local, sustainable produce delivered to your door on a weekly basis.
- Produce included is seasonal and dependent on availability. We do not offer substitutions.
- We do our best to include 4-6 veggies, 1-2 fruits, and 1-2 herbs, though the seasons don't always allow that ratio.
- Delivery days are Monday or Friday and time slots on each day are morning (9am-1pm) and afternoon (1pm-5pm).
- Produce is delivered in a plastic crate that keeps your produce fresh for 4+ hours. Please leave your crate out the following week so we can pick it up when we drop off the next week's delivery.
- 4 weeks of delivery for $160
- 10 weeks of delivery is $350
A La Carte
- We offer some produce and other local sustainable food products (such as dairy, canned goods, and milled grains) as add-ons to The Weekly Fruit & Veg
- This list will be updated here until our new website is launched. Please email orders@TheRootHouston.com with any a la carte purchases at least 24 hours prior to your delivery.
- Coarse Corn Grits 1lb (Specify Yellow, Blue or White) $6
- Pancake and Waffle Mix 1lb $6.75
- Whole Hard Red Wheat Flour 2lb $4.75
- Sweet Potato Muffin Mix .85lb $7
Sweet Potatoes $2/lb
- Our groupon is half price delivery for two consecutive weeks.
- You'll receive a mix of fruits and vegetables and herbs depending on what is available in season.
- Delivery is currently available Monday and Friday and we have morning a morning and evening slot each day.
- Produce will stay fresh in our plastic crates for 4 or more hours in the shade. Please choose a delivery slot that will allow you to receive the produce within 4 hours of delivery.
- Email us at Groupon@TheRootHouston.com to set up your delivery dates. Please include your name, address, preferred delivery slot and groupon redemption number.
To order please email orders@TheRootHouston.com For information please email info@TheRootHouston.com